Barney Taxel, Photographer:
You start a business to make a living. And that’s what photographer Barney Taxel did when he opened his studio- still in the same converted factory space now as then. But it’s always been about more than that. It’s a way to make a life, a good life, a meaningful and fulfilling one built on creativity, community and civic engagement.
He’s developed a solid reputation as an artist and a craftsman, a dependable professional that holds himself to the highest standards. He’s known as a person who pursues excellence no matter what the project, how big or small the job. Taxel focuses on his clients, and how he can help them meet their needs, tell their story, and convey their message. He brings a special skill to that task: an aesthetic and very personal sensibility that enables him to produce bold beautiful visual statements. He works for you and works to satisfy something in himself too.
The same desire to integrate commerce with purpose is also why he invests effort and energy in the urban neighborhood where his studio is located and in Cleveland Heights, the inner ring suburb where he lives, making them better places for everyone. Taxel volunteers, sits on public service boards and committees, donates fine art photographs to charity fundraisers; collaborates with colleagues. It is the reason he finds time to mentor student interns; teach digital photography at Case Western Reserve University; mount exhibitions; and create a book of fine art images, The Lake View Cemetery: Photographs from Cleveland’s Historic Landmark (University of Akron Press).
Cleveland is a city that’s experiencing a true renaissance. And Barney Taxel has been there, part of it, and proud of it.
Award winning location and studio photographer specializing in architecture, food, lifestyle and still life image making.
- Faculty, Art Studio/ Creative Photography, Case Western Reserve University, 1973-1985
- Faculty, Art Studio/ Creative Digital Photography, Case Western Reserve University, 2010 to present
- A full collection of Taxel’s fine art photography is available at – Photography: The Power to Transform
- Taxel’s portfolio of Cleveland’s West Side Market photography can be viewed at – WestSideMarketPhotos.com
- Taxel’s new book The Lake View Cemetery: Photographs from Cleveland’s Historic Landmark is now out from the University of Akron Press. The book spans two decades of photographs of the cemetery by Barney with supporting essays by Laura Taxel. The book can be purchased here.
- Undergraduate education in architecture and design
- Bachelor of Arts, Undergraduate Scholar –
Photography, Case Western Reserve University, 1972
- Blue Ribbon Breads
- The Count Out Cholesterol Book
- Cleveland: Continuing the Renaissance
- Stan Hywet Hall and Gardens
- The Top 100 International Coffee Recipes
- The Top 100 International Tea Recipes
- Webster’s New World Children’s Dictionary
- Cleveland’s West Side Market: 100 Years and Still Cooking
- The Lake View Cemetery: Photographs From Cleveland’s Historic Landmark (October, 2014)
- Stan Hywet Hall and Gardens: Centennial Edition 2015
Memberships, Affiliations & Recent Awards:
- Scene Magazine: Best of Cleveland 2015,
– Best Way to See Lake View Cemetery Without Actually Going in Lake View Cemetery
- 38th Cleveland International Film Festival
– Festival Awards Artist- 2014
- American Society of Media Photographers (ASMP)
– Charter Member, Ohio NorthCoast Chapter
- American Advertising Federation (AAF) Cleveland
-Advertising Hall of Fame Inductee- 2011
- MidTown Cleveland, Inc., since 1982
– Marketing Committee Chairman and Executive Board Member
– Distinguished Contributor- 2003